10 Things NOT To Do
The good news is that summer is here (hooray). The bad news is that with the hot, muggy temperatures it’s tempting to forget about fashion. Hmmm…we can’t let that happen! What to do? Well, I think that with a little planning you can look cool, chic and stylish during all the warm months. Dressing well in the summer can be easy-
- Don’t scrap a clean, coordinated look in warm weather. Do keep your clothing simple, tidy & thoughtfully assembled.
- Don’t forget your accessories- scarves can be warm when tied around your neck, but look great tied at the waist or around a handbag. Do wear a statement necklace, a bangle or some interesting earrings that will immediately elevate your look.
- Don’t squeeze into your clothes- make sure that things fit the way they should (no sagging, bulging or squeezing). Do wear clothing that is figure flattering.
- Don’t put away your black, brown or gray for summer. These colors can look cool and chic when combined with a bright color or a light neutral.
- Don’t forget to keep your summer footwear looking fresh and stylish. Rubber flip-flops should be saved for the pool and white running shoes are not a fashion statement. Do wear cute espadrilles, flats or “hip” sneakers.
- Don’t forget that wearing a skirt or a dress is a great alternative and usually more flattering than wearing shorts.
- Don’t wear hosiery with open-toed shoes, but do wear nude hose with a closed-toed shoe (thanks to Kate Middleton).
- Don’t overuse self-tanners- they can look orangey and streaky and can smell when you perspire. You just might want to embrace “tan-less” skin.
- Don’t overdo your makeup on hot days. Nothing looks worse than smeary eyeliner or smudged lipstick. Instead, wear indelible liners and BB cream for a smooth, flawless finish.
- Don’t forget that colorful prints in tops, tunics or blouses can really add zip and finish to your summer outfits. Patterns can help coordinate separates and add mileage to your summer wardrobe.