HOW TO BE MORE HAPPY
Last week I was fortunate to hear Laurie Santos, PhD, speak (Livestream) about Happiness and The Science of Well-Being for the Center for Women’s Health Research at The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. She was inspiring.
Laurie Santos is a Professor of Psychology at Yale University and an expert on human cognition, decision-making, and the search for happiness. A couple of years ago, her course “Psychology and the Good Life”— which is now called “The Science of Well-Being“— became the most popular class in the 319-year history of Yale. It teaches students how the science of psychology can provide valuable hints about how to make wiser choices and live a life that’s happier and more fulfilling.
Her 8 Tips from the Science of Well-Being follow:
- Happiness is still important in challenging times.
- Harness the power of post-traumatic growth
- Make time for social connections.
- Helping others makes us happier than we expect.
- Make time for gratitude every day.
- Healthy practices matter more than we expect.
- Be in the present moment (even if it sucks).
- Become wealthy in time not in money.
These are things we can all do and practice- we just need to know and embrace the thought that we can be happy even when times are tough.