Spring Clean Your Messiest Space
Makeup drawers and bags need to be cleaned out twice a year. “The more stuff you have, the more stuff you don’t use. It’s just too overwhelming,” says makeup artist Fiona Stiles. The first step is to take everything out of the drawer or bag and sort the products into three piles…
- The stuff you use the most goes in one pile, special occasion items in another pile and items that haven’t been used go in another. If you haven’t used something in a year- toss it.
- Check to see if each item is usable. Powders last a long time, creams don’t. Pencils last if they are sharpened and clean. Make sure that your sharpener is sharp and that you can get a good point. Sharpeners should be replaced annually.
- Bacteria is more likely to get into a cream that you scoop rather than a tube you squeeze. Anything that touches your mouth or fingers can breed bacteria.
- Foundations that have separated should be tossed.
- Lipsticks that smell are rancid and need to be discarded.
- Glosses that are gummy are over the hill.
- If there is a crack in your eye shadow, throw it out. It will eventually loosen up and break. Nothing makes a bigger mess of your drawer or makeup bag than broken blush or shadow.
- Mascaras should be tossed out after 6 months. Mark the date on the tube with a Sharpie when you open it.
- Clean and wash your makeup drawer or bag to get rid of makeup residue.
- Wash all of your brushes in gentle soap and lay on a paper towel to air dry.
- Store your keepers in a cool dark place.
- Make a list of the products you need.