Stop Wardrobe Madness: Part 2
Here are some more tips on cleaning out your closet to make room for new fall pieces – just in time for the clothing drive! If you missed Part 1, click here to get started.
- Arrange your closet like a boutique. Divide up clothing by item. Hang skirts with skirts, pants with pants and so on. Then break it down by color and type of clothing. I don’t hang my sporty clothing with dressy items. Keep the closet floor uncluttered. When deciding to keep or toss an article of clothing, ask yourself would you buy it again- the answer will be the tell.
- Fold tees and thin sweaters with your Flip Fold. This is a really cool template that helps you fold your tees and sweaters so that they look like the ones at The Gap. Don’t stack too high. Again, divide by color and use. Use dividers to keep stacks neat.
- I use vertical hanging shoe bags to hold my shoes. That way I can instantly see and access. Make sure that your shoes are in tip top repair and condition. Re-purpose shoes that are uncomfortable (that will never change), scuffed, cracked or worn and cannot be repaired. Your shoes tell the world a lot about you- it’s said that your shoes are a window into your soul (no pun intended).
- Hang the scarves you wear on the velvet hangers, use jewelry bags or clear plastic (labeled) containers for your costume jewelry and earrings.
- Belts should be rolled or hung on a belt rack. Belts are usually a ripe area for editing: discard belts that don’t fit, are out of style, worn out or stretched.
- Remember, no two people organize the same way, make sure that your organizational system suits your personality. Staying organized is a learned habit and one that takes time and discipline to master.
- Sort through your discards and donate your excess to your favorite charity or to a women’s shelter. Always keep one of those black trash bags in your closet so that you can continue to edit throughout the season.
- Most of the closet organizer tools can be found at WalMart or Target. If you really get going, The Container Store is the mecca for organizing divas.